Operation Could Happen Sometime Next Week; Closure Of I-15 Highly Likely Due To Operation
ESCONDIDO, Calif. — An Escondido home authorities have referred to as a “bomb factory” will be burned down, 10News’ Allison Ash reported.In a Tuesday night meeting held at Woodland Park Middle School in San Marcos, local, state and federal experts took questions from the public to discuss the disposal of a massive cache of explosives found earlier this month at a home in an unincorporated section of Escondido.
The experts included representatives from local fire, sheriff and police departments, the FBI and the San Diego County Office of Emergency Services, along with ones from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The panel discussed the disposal of explosives found at 1954 Via Scott on Nov. 18.
Sheriff Bill Gore said authorities will begin building a tall wall of sheet rock around the house on Wednesday to separate it from neighbors before it will be burned. Sources told 10News the house will probably be set on fire sometime next week. Authorities said if the weather is ideal with the right wind conditions, the house could be set on fire as early as next Wednesday. Residents will also only be warned about 24 hours in advance of when the fire will be set.
Additionally, 10News learned several families will be evacuated from their homes and Interstate 15 would be closed in both directions when the operation takes place. Even before hearing the details of the plan, neighbor Joy Colclough said she had a good idea of what was about to happen.
“My guess is they’re gonna have to destroy the house, whether they burn it down or bulldoze it or whatever they do, I just don’t know how they can do that without it exploding,” she said earlier Tuesday. Colclough was one of dozens of neighbors who got a reverse 911 call Tuesday morning.
That recorded message hinted that neighbors would soon be impacted.”It sounded to me like it could be a larger impact than it’s already been, and the only larger one would be to have us all actually leave,” said Colclough.Alan Haghighi, who lives next door to the home, said no one wants this to be over with more than he does.”We just want to fast forward two weeks,” he said. “Hopefully they process… this as soon as possible.”
Authorities went to the home on Nov. 18 after a gardener, Mario Garcia, 49, of Fallbrook, was injured when he stepped on something akin to a mine in the home’s yard. The home’s resident, George Jakubec, 54, was arrested later the same day.